Monday, April 1, 2013

#HAWMC Day 1: Getting Started






Today’s Prompts:
  • Why you write – tell us a little bit about why you write about your health online and what got you started.
  • Why HAWMC? This is our third year of the Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge – why did you get involved this year? Are you a newbie to #HAWMC or a veteran?



 This year marks my second EVER participation w/#HAWMC. Last year I was very hesitant about participating because a.) I'd never written about my health, and b.) to do so for a whole month felt beyond overwhelming. Yet, not only did I do it, I'm back for more! Last year's participation turned out to be very therapeutic for me. It was challenging to gather the strength and energy to write on a daily basis, however the prompts proved rather helpful (yes, even those to which I felt a bit resistant). I found the prompts to help me remain on point, and I sometimes need that structure, especially on those days in which I have writer's block.

The only reason I ever got started writing (and continued to do so) was because of my #chronicallyawesome superwoman mentor, Jules (check out her blog, or follow her on twitter) This woman is ah-mah-zing! really and truly! love her! Jules not only gave me a space on her blog for my #HAWMC posts, she provided me with endless support and encouragement. Without her mentorship and support, I don't know that I would've made it as far as I did. But I didn't want to let her down, so I blogged away. And she was right to encourage me to do so, because writing proved to be very cathartic. It helped me look at my life in regards to living with Crohn's Disease, Fibromyalgia, and PTSD. And by that I mean, it validated my existence, because I was able to reflect on what it was like for me to overcome so much on a daily basis. Because let's be honest, I am my own worst enemy, and don't give myself enough credit.

Through my participation with last year's #HAWMC, my writings became not only a part of the health blogging project, but served as my online journal and even led to the creation of this blog . I enjoyed my participation w/#HAWMC and was sad when it ended. I was able to keep up my writings on my blog for about a month or two, and then.... I don't know what happened. I got lazy, I slacked. I will not make up any excuses. Life happened. A lot of changes have taken place since last year, and I'm hoping that by participating again this year, I will be able to get out of my writer's block, and also reflect on and process all my experiences from this past year.

Whilst I don 't consider myself to be a newbie, I'm far from a veteran, though when it comes to my health experiences, I am a veteran, complete with battle scars! In the year since I last participated with #HAWMC there have been many changes where my health is concerned. In some ways things have changed considerably, and in some ways, things feel as if they are the same. #HAWMC serves as a great platform to help me self-reflect and process, as well as record, all my experiences. Stay tuned.

**********Spoiler alert: I survived***********







1 comment:

  1. You are very sweet to say those kind words. To be honest, working with you also allowed me the ability to get through all of the last challenge. We motivated each other for different reasons and we made it. You have turned into an amazing blogger with your own voice that is strong and clear.
    I wish I had the time for this year's challenge, but I shall watch it through you.
    Did you noticed you posted this at 11:11?

    ReplyDelete