Saturday, May 5, 2012

#HAWMC Day 14: My Dream Day

HAWMC Day 14: My Dream Day


My Dream Day = Day of Gratitude


My dream day would be a day of gratitude, in which I celebrate life and give thanks, not only for being alive, but for all the support I’ve received.


My Day of Gratitude would begin by giving back to the Crohn’s community.


I would visit Crohn’s patients who are hospitalized and provide support and companionship as well as share my story with them, in the hopes of helping them feel understood and also to offer reassurance. It’s so important for us as patients to feel understood, and as I have carried my diagnosis of Crohn’s disease for over 10 years I would be a great source of support. Plus there is the added benefit (ha, wrong word choice, but it stays) of having had a 4 month hospital stay which gives me an insight into the psychological aspect of an in-patient stay. I would offer suggestions and support, not only to the patient, but to their family/friends/loved ones and their providers. I would speak with my fellow Crohnie about the importance of being an advocate for her/himself and also advocate for them. I would love to volunteer as a patient advocate. (Hmm. Note to self: store this in the back of my mind, for future reference! )


During my hospital visit/volunteer shift I would share my coping tools, such as blogs I read (also my own, a bit of self-promotion, shameless! Why not? haha), websites, twitter, anything and everything needed to not only help my fellow Crohnies feel empowered but supported. I would also bring along handouts/booklets from my local chapter of CCFA (Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America http://www.ccfa.org/ ).


After my shift, I would go home and take a nice nap and prepare for my “Day of Gratitude” dinner.


The attendees to the “Day of Gratitude” dinner would include all of my service providers (nurses and doctors who looked after me whilst I was hospitalized back in 2010) as well as family and friends. It is so important to me to let these individuals know how much their care and support meant to me and still does. It would be amazing to also be honored with the presence of the Crohnies and Chronically Awesome friends whom I’ve met on twitter! It would be a Chronically Awesome Reunion! ;)


Of course, for this to be possible, my day would hopefully begin with either no pain or with a good dose of pain meds to help me get my arse out of bed! ;)


I don’t think this is an impossible day at all. One day, I hope to make my “Dream Day” a reality. It’s not unrealistic because once I work through my trauma of being in a hospital environment, I will be able to volunteer. It will happen. As for the dinner, that too is a possibility. I am working on myself at the moment so that I may feel psychologically strong enough to make this dream a reality.








@hipsteralice
April Blogger in Residency
Alice in Crohnsland for

http://www.whatthejules.com/april/318-hawmc-day-14-my-dream-day

No comments:

Post a Comment