Saturday, May 5, 2012

#HAWMC Day 15: Writing with Style

HAWMC Day 15 Writing with Style





What’s your writing style? Do words just flow from your mind to your fingertips? Do you like handwriting first? Do you plan your posts? Title first or last? Where do you write best?


At the risk of sounding repetitive, I have chosen to recycle parts of what I wrote in a previous post, which are relevant to this topic. I had previously written about my writing style on my post for #HAWMC Day 7. I really have nothing new to add in the 6 days since I last wrote that post. I feel like I am cheating on this post, haha. But really, I’ve got nothing new to add. And now I’m rambling too. *sigh*


I really like this quote by Hemingway, which I have found very inspiring,



” There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
                                                  - Ernest Hemingway


I have found it easy to ” sit down and bleed” by allowing myself to express my vulnerability through my writing. And in doing so, it has become a very cathartic experience. I sit down and let myself type everything in a stream of consciousness, which has been the tone in which I’ve written my posts.

The best piece of advice I would share is that which was told to me, by my Chronically Awesome mentor, Jules (@julianna12369), which is ” if you are real and truthful, your blog will be great.” I have taken this piece of advice to heart, by trying to be as open as possible with what I’ve shared. I sit down and let myself type everything in a stream of consciousness, which has been the tone in which I’ve written my posts. Jules told me to be “real” which I have been, as much as possible (at least, I think I’ve been, and certainly hope that is how I’ve come across…).
 
 
Another great piece of advice which the Chronically Awesome Jules gave me is to avoid sounding as if I’m “trying to send a message.” Instead she suggested that I, ” just relax and let the post fall out of you, the message will find it’s way into your story. And not everything has a message, sometimes it’s just something someone wants to relate to. That’s ok too.” Isn’t Jules great? These suggestions helped take away my fears when writing.

The way in which I go about writing is to “get into writing mode”. So far it’s helping to write first thing in the morning, after I’ve had my coffee (Btw, I am usually sitting up in bed as I write). I have a clear mind, I’m alert, I sit down and just let everything flow. I don’t censor myself or worry about how what I’m writing will come across. In that way, not only is it coming about organically, but it is also a very cathartic experience. One which I am enjoying.
 
 
 
Because I am a new to the blogging world, I have not really had to worry about planning my posts or giving them titles, as I am following the HAWMC prompts. I have had mixed feelings about the use of prompts, as sometimes they are easy to follow and other times, I’ve had to scratch my head and think about the pre-chosen topic. But for the most part, I’d say that my participation with the Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge (HAWMC) has been a good introduction (and hopefully transition) into the world of blogging. And it has become such an integral tool for me to help manage and cope with not only my Crohn’s, but my depression.


I am finding that I really do enjoy writing. I’m thankful for having had the opportunity to take part in HAWMC, and most especially grateful to Jules, for providing so much support. I don’t know how far I would have come with my participation in this challenge were it not for Jules’ words of support and encouragement, as well as for her giving me a space on which to post my blogs! And because she is SO chronically awesome, Jules even gave me a title, ” blogger in residency”!
 
 
The amount of support I’ve received from Jules, as well as from the chronically awesome community has been very humbling and has given me the confidence to write. I do hope to continue blogging, even after the challenge has been completed.

(ps: Ok, so I did have some new material to add. Which only goes to reinforce my point that writing in the “stream of consciousness” mode is my style as it really allows me to reflect. I do acknowledge that it is both my strength and weakness that I allow myself to write in such an organic manner. The reason I cite it as a weakness is that I don’t censor myself which sometimes allows for spelling and or grammatical errors, which I do NOT like. So editing is something on which I must work.)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
@hipsteralice
April Blogger in Residency
Alice in Crohnsland for

No comments:

Post a Comment