Saturday, May 5, 2012

#HAWMC Day 3: Superpower - Fearlessness


#HAWMC Day 3: Superpower: Fearlessness


When I think of “super power’ I think of something that is far beneath my reach. The ability to do something magical and powerful, that gives me a leg-up above the rest of the population. Yet, in the context of this post, when trying to envision what MY superpower would be, if I could choose to have one, I couldn’t come up with any, or so I thought! Yesterday I was tweeting with two fellow Crohnies and we were discussing the difficulty of living w/Crohn’s Disease on a daily basis. We live daily with Crohn’s Disease and are able to overcome our obstacles. We strive to live our lives as best we can. And THAT is our superpower. The ability to live with a chronic, debilitating illness, everyday, and not give up, no matter how difficult it may be. I have come to realize that “Superhoeroes” are not these mythical creatures who exist only in comics books or movies.


Superheroes are those who are living with challenges; those who are chronically ill, who in spite of these challenges don’t give up, but in fact, as a result, are stronger.


The realization that I can categorize myself as a superhero is a powerful one, and leads me to the superpower that in the given context I would like to possess: 

Fearlessness


The ability to realize and live up to MY potential without fear. I am my own greatest critic. I hold myself back. My biggest challenge, or my “kryptonite” if you will, is self-doubt. I fail to see the strength I have within myself. But it is there.

My hope is that one day I am able to look my fear in the face and destroy it. I want to raise my hand, let out a beam of light, and destroy that self-doubt, so that I may truly become who I am meant to be. I know I have it within myself. I would use my superpower and go around, helping others destroy their self doubt, so that they too, could realize how powerful they are. So that they could realize that despite (or because of) living with a chronic illness, they are powerful, they are strong, and they are unstoppable! Forget the Justice League, we would be known as “The Chronically Awesome League”!

Actually, the Chronically Awesome Superhero league ALREADY exists! I have met these superheroes and interact with them on a daily basis. They are my fellow Crohnies, my fellow Chronically Awesome tweethearts (Yes, tweethearts IS a word, because I said so, and if I have superpowers, then I CAN make up words, so there! Ha! ) they ARE superheroes. Whether or not they may be aware of it. But they are.


@hipsteralice, April Blogger in Residency
Alice in Crohnsland for


http://whatthejules.com/april/291-hawmc-day-3-superpower-fearlessness

No comments:

Post a Comment