Saturday, May 5, 2012

#HAWMC Day 4: I write about my health because ...



#HAWMC Day 4: I Write About My Health Because


There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
                      - Ernest Hemingway

When thinking about why I have decided to write about my health my first thought was, because I am selfish and it will help me as a result of putting my thoughts and feelings down. But I wonder if selfish is the right word. Because “Selfish” connotes negativity, yet to do something like writing for oneself is not negative. Especially when doing so with the hope that someone finds something in what I’ve written to which they can relate. Thus, maybe selfless is a better word? Because while I acknowledge that in writing I am primarily helping myself, it is my hope that I am also helping others. That is not to say that I consider myself the voice of authority of the Crohn’s experience. But I am the voice of MY experience with Crohn’s, and how it has impacted MY life.


I write about my health because it helps raise awareness about Crohn’s Disease, from a personal perspective, that goes beyond the “textbook case” of the disease, by humanizing it. Crohn’s disease doesn’t just affect the body, but the whole person, and even beyond the person, the person’s surroundings, loved ones, friends. So far writing has been a cathartic experience for me. The ease with which I have written these pieces has surprised me, as it tells me that I have kept my feelings bottled up for far too long. The fact that these pieces flow out of me so easily reinforces my decision to write about my health. I have something to say that needs to be told. I have been silent for far too long, which has affected my mental health. Repressing my feelings is one of my symptoms of my depression. It is my hope that I can begin the healing process by writing about my health, to help me get closure on what I’ve been through in the past, as well as to help me grow.


I write about my health because it helps me connect with others. This is only my 4th piece of health writing. Ever. I was so nervous about participating in this project. I don’t consider myself a health activist or a health writer. To do so would be too intimidating and would definitely prevent me from writing. I’ve tried to be as open as possible, in the hopes that others can relate to what I’m going through. To help them see that they are not alone, to help ME see that I’M not alone. To not only raise awareness, but HOPE. The responses and support I’ve received thus far have been great. I’ve heard from fellow Crohnies who find something in what I’ve written to which they can relate, which then opens up a discussion. And by talking about what we are going through, we begin the healing process. We see that we are not alone, we help each other cope, we feel hope, we feel encouraged, and the healing process is set in motion.


I chose the above quote by Hemingway because it is one from which I get inspiration when writing about my health: ” There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down… and bleed.” I have found it easy to ” sit down and bleed” by allowing myself to express my vulnerability through my writing. And in doing so, it has become a very cathartic experience. I am thus far enjoying my participation with the #HAWMC challenge and look forward to seeing how far I go in my growth process as a “health writer” (which, by the way, I don’t consider myself to be a “health writer”, but for the purpose of this exercise, I am using the term, mmmkay? )









@hipsteralice, April Blogger in Residency
Alice in Crohnsland for

http://whatthejules.com/april/293-hawmc-day-4-i-write-about-my-health-because

No comments:

Post a Comment