Saturday, May 5, 2012

#HAWMC Day 19: Dinner Guests

HAWMC Day 19: Dinner Guests





Who are five people you’d love to have dinner with (living or deceased) and why?

1. THE Chronically Awesome Jules (my chronically awesome mentor <3 )
2. Frida Kahlo (Artist)
3. Dr. Burril Crohn (for whom Crohn’s disease was named)
4. Dr.Rachel Naomi Remen (Fellow Crohnie, Doctor, Author, and an Inspiration!)
5. Marian Keyes (Author of fiction, who like me, carries a diagnosis of depression)


Jules is someone who I just *clicked* with immediately. She is truly such an inspiration to me and is also someone whom I look up to. Because of the challenges she has faced and overcome in her life, she is tough, she has a take-no-prisoners approach, she tells it like it is, and doesn’t tolerate b.s.! She is also someone who is not afraid to open herself up and it is reflected in her blogs. She is a tough cookie with a heart of gold. I LOVE that about her. In the short time I’ve known her, she has shown me so much kindness, support, compassion. I see myself in her. She is helping me gain confidence in myself. Were it not for her encouragement and support, I would most likely have flaked on participating with HAWMC. But for whatever reason, Jules felt it was something I should try. She didn’t push me, but she made it possible by creating a safe place for me on her blog. It has meant so much to me, as I am new to the blogging world. I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship with Jules. I have a feeling it is. And I treasure it. It’s an honor to meet someone as special as Jules! I have hopes that one day we WILL meet because she is awesome and I want some of her awesomeness to rub off on me! <3 (Also: Denny and Truman would be guests . They are so cute and I want to cuddle with them and give them belly rubs! That is all! It would be a playdate because of course, as Bella would be there. What? Like I would have a dinner and not bring MY furreh babeh dog? As if! )


Frida Kahlo is someone whom I greatly admire. For who she was, for what she overcame, for what she created. I have visited her house/museum, looked at her works of art, read about her life, watched movies and documentaries about her. Yes, I sound like a crazy-obsessed fan. Yes, I am. ;) I would have liked to have known her in real life, to have listened to her speak. To hear her thoughts about life, about being a strong woman. An individual who overcame the betrayal, of not only her body, but of the man whom she loved. She faced so many challenges, hardships and heartbreak, yet she never gave up. She lived life, on her terms, to the fullest. She was fearless. She represents the woman whom I’d like to become. But there is more to her than what I have listed, what she is known for, what is idealized. I want to know how she got to be so fearless. She had SO many hardships in her life, yet always moved forward. That is the Frida we think we know. But deep down inside, what were her fears, her doubts, her insecurities? Most importantly, how did she overcome them? What made her the strong woman and artist I so deeply admire? What advice would she give me? ( Upon further reflection this is a question which I’d ask all my female dinner guests)


Dr. Burril Crohn is the doctor for whom Crohn’s disease is named, therefore it goes without saying that he’d be a guest at my dinner. I’d like to learn first hand about how he discovered this illness as well as what his thoughts are on how far we have advanced with treament. I have no doubt that my fellow dinner guests and I would pick his brain! And my first question to him would be why he couldn’t have chosen a nicer name for this disease. I know that diseases are sometimes named after the doctor who “discovered” them but couldn’t it have been something that sounded nicer than Crohn’s? Like, I don’t know, ” La maladie de Renoir” (Yes, I KNOW it sounds a bit, I dunno, pretentious, but I like how it rolls of the tongue. Also, apologies to Renoir for naming a disease after him, no offense meant, I hope). Other name options which I’ve considered are: “La maladie de Monet”, “La maladie de Cezanne”, “La maladie de Matisse.” I realize I have spent much too long in my pursuit of renaming my disease (as I write this it I am in the midst of a bout of insomnia and it’s 3:30 am, therefore, I have the time to entertain these thoughts! Haha!) but I really wish there was a more glamorous term for this disease. Yes, I KNOW I’m sounding vain and whiny here, but it is MY fantasy, so this stays! I would hope that Dr. Crohn is not too intimidated by the fact that he will be the only male present at my dinner (oh, my bad, that is not true because Denny and Truman will be in attendance!) I have no doubt however, that Dr. Crohn would be quite entertained by the women because they are intelligent, witty and funny. He would be very pleased! ;)


Dr. Rachel Naomi Remen is someone who I look up to and whose work I admire. How I came to know of her was quite serendipitous. I was in a Goodwill store scouring the book section. I had walked by the store that day and something pulled me in. Anyway, I *always* go directly to the book section (books are MY drug! My life source!) and while browsing, I randomly picked up her book, My Grandfather’s Blessings, read the sleeve and thought it sounded interesting. I started reading it when I got home and immediately became engrossed. It wasn’t until a few chapters in, that I got a major shock when Dr. Remen revealed that she has Crohn’s disease. She went into detail describing not only the pain and suffering she experienced at the hands of living with Crohn’s, but showed the strength and resilience of a human being, determined to overcome this huge obstacle. She did not let the diagnosis of Crohn’s prevent her from her dream of going to medical school. And she did it. Even though it wasn’t easy. She became gravely illl and had many flares along the way. She battled the darkness of depression that those of us who are chronically ill experience. But she did not let that stop her from living, from realizing her dreams. At the core, is a very strong, very compassionate woman. (We ALL are! ) Oh, by the way, this would not be my first meeting with her. In another stroke of serendipity or fate, I learned that she was having a book signing, and also reading passages from her book, My Grandfather’s Blessings. OF course I went! And afterwards I stayed and she graciously signed my book and even gave me the most beautiful inscription. She told me I was a blessing. She encouraged me to not give up. That I have a purpose. That I am special. Isn’t she a sweetheart? Doesn’t she sound like someone you’d like to meet? She is so sweet, very soft spoken, yet she has such a presence. She truly cares about people. She would be a very special dinner guest.


Marian Keyes is an author of fiction in the genre known as “chick lit ” (which, by the way may have the connotation that it’s about romance and happy endings. I am NOT the type to read those books!) but her books have a twist to them. Marian incorporates parts of herself into her characters, and in that sense makes them real, they are flawed, vulnerable, they experience challenges, hardships, which lead them to grow. Some of the books have “happy endings” and others don’t. But they are real. Her books have made me laugh and cry. So if her books are “chick lit” they are “dark chick lit”. After all, not only do her characters experience difficulties, but Marian is a feminist and her characters are strong women. I have always found a character and a story with whom I identify. And even beyond the characters in the books is the author herself, who also suffers from bouts of deep depression. She is very open and honest about discussing both her diagnosis of Clinical Depression and that she is a recovering alcoholic. Here is someone else, who like Frida, like Jules, like Dr. Remen, has experienced and embraced the darkness in life, who has fallen down the rabbit hole of depression. She is very open and honest about it. I’d like to meet her because if she is anything like the characters she writes about (which I have no doubt that she is) then she too would be someone who is not only a lot of fun to be around (as she is very witty, funny and has a good dose of snark) but is able to channel her pain and suffering creatively. She did recently take a break because her depression was so severe that it left her unable to write, but she is now back. I recently found her and started following her on twitter. She lives in Ireland, but I’m sure she would make the trip to the United States to meet one of her greatest fans! ;) (Wait, what?! Why should she come to us? Why not us go to her? Or better yet, compromise! We could have the dinner in Spain! (Tapas, Paella and Sangria Dinner! Nom nom! Yes, please!)


I now really, really want to make this dinner party happen! *shakes fist at #HAWMC for making me fantasize about this dinner* Hmm. It could happen. I could invite the Long Island Medium (I forget her name, but her show is on TLC) so that she can channel both Frida and Dr. Crohn, I’m sure she could give me a two-for-one deal! Also, this would then free up one seat at the dinner table…and I could then bring my date, Johnny Depp! Perfect! ;)





@hipsteralice
April Blogger in Residency
Alice in Crohnsland for

http://www.whatthejules.com/april/329-hawmc-day-19-dinner-guests

No comments:

Post a Comment